I took the Slumberjack Wheeler Lake Sleeping Bag on a 10 day trip across Wyoming and Montana and found this bag to be the ultimate car camping sleeping bag. Whether you are using your own home pillow which we do or you want to test out the unique zippered hood to bundle up on cold nights, this bag is pretty cool.
When sleeping outdoors, I prefer to get as comfy and cozy as possible. Because I would much rather have too much coverage than not enough, I tested out the Wheeler Lake -20 degree. I wanted to make sure that I would be able to use this bag in hunting camp no matter the season. In the fall, it would be just hot enough and if I needed to vent the bag for a bit I would have that ability.
What I love about this bag is that it is roomy. I am a side sleeper, and this bag really provides plenty of room for me to move around. I have more than enough room to toss and turn, and it will still keep warm heat in the bag. This bag will fit someone up to 6’ 4”, so it was more than roomy enough for me. At 5 pounds 14 ounces, this Slumberjack is too heavy and bulky for me to carry on a backcountry hiking trip. But for car camping, this bag is pretty darn nice and it’s about as comfortable as you can get. I especially liked the “Toes-Up” footbox. My size 13 feet can become cramped in the foot area of some bags. The Wheeler Lake provides a ton of room in the foot department as well as in the middle so you can get a full night of sleep.
We had no issues with zippers which is usually a complaint on sleeping bags. As with every stuff sack, we wish the Slumberjack’s stuff sack would be large enough to easily pack the bag while at the same time focus on intense compression. Overall, we found the Slumberjack Wheeler Lake Sleeping Bag to be a great fit for car camping trips. I might even know a Boy Scout who is getting one of these as a gift this holiday season.
You can buy them directly from Slumberjack!!
- Innovative 2-in-1 hood provides a platform for your favorite pillow from home and converts into a hooded option for colder weather
- Large “Toes-Up” footbox provides additional room for your feet & enhanced comfort
- Layered, offset, quilt construction prevents cold spots
- Durable #8 zipper with anti-snag construction
- Draft tube along zipper keeps cold air out and prevents heat loss
- Slumberloft-PRO synthetic insulation provides superior warmth and comfort while reducing carry size & weight
- Main zipper extends around the footbox for increased ventilation and versatility
- Color coded zippers and screen prints indicate temperature ratings
- Liner printed with Slumberjack’s proprietary DST camouflage
- Stuff sack included
- Fill Weight: 5 lbs. 8oz
- Carry Weight: 5 lbs. 14 oz
- Fits to: 6 ft 4 in
- Dimensions: 84 x 34 in
- Insulation: Slumberloft™ Synthetic Insulation
- Shell Fabric: 190T Polyester Taffeta
Liner Fabric: 190T Polyester Taffeta