Pro Staff Blog

An Excellent day of fishing


9-10 random 106  It was a beautiful Saturday morning when my friend called and asked if I wanted to go fishing. I told her I would be over to her house in a few as I ran out the door and started gathering all my fishing gear. When I arrived at her house, she had the four-wheeler loaded and was waiting on me. Her mom had packed us a lunch and a cooler of drinks. Once we had my stuff on the other four-wheeler, we rode down to the pond.

When we pulled up, bass were jumping everywhere in the pond. We quickly threw our lines out and started catching bass, crappie and brim like crazy. We were so excited because we had not caught this many fish in a long time. We kept them in a bucket and the bigger fish on stringers. It was then about lunch time and the fish catching was slowing down. We decided to eat lunch then fish again.

After eating lunch, my friend was going thru her tackle box and was telling me about all the new lures she had gotten for her birthday. She pulled one lure out and asked what kind of lure it was. I looked and said “oh, that’s a hulapopper!” I explained to her that this lure pops across the water and makes bass go crazy. I told her I would show her and I tied the hulapopper to my line and casted it out into the water.

The first time I caught a nice 1 ½ lb. bass. I casted it again and I was not prepared for what I was about to catch. I was popping the lure across the water when this giant splash topped the water and the lure started heading to the bottom of the pond. Immediately I switched it to free spool and let out a little line. Instead of fighting and taking the risk of breaking the line, I just let him tire out. After about a 5 minute fight, I finally reeled him into the edge of the bank.
My friend reached down with the net and pulled him out. It was a 5 lb. Bass that was 21 inches long. I was shocked and couldn’t believe I had caught a monster bass! It was the biggest bass I had ever seen or caught.
We put him on the stringer and then my friend and I exchanged two high fives and a great big “YEAH!!!! After talking about it a few minutes and taking pictures, we decided to see if we could catch another monster bass. I threw the lure out again and started popping it across the water.

When the lure got about ½ ways across the pond, another bass jumped out the water and grabbed the lure. I jerked the line to snag the hook and then waited for the bass to calm down. I knew before we even had him on land that it was another monster bass. When we got him on the bank, my friend and I went crazy again. This time it was a 4lb. 22inch long largemouth bass.

The rest of that afternoon when I got home, I showed them to my dad and my dad was so happy for me. He said we could try and get them mounted in the near future. It was an extremely fun day and good memories with my best friend. Hopefully we will have better luck next time and now we have our goals set to only catch a bass that’s as big as the two I had caught.

9-10 random 1039-10 random 102

Kevin Paulson

Kevin Paulson is the Founder and CEO of His passion for Hunting began at the age of 5 hunting alongside of his father. Kevin has followed his dreams through outfitting, conservation work, videography and hunting trips around the world.

Related Articles

Back to top button