Pro Staff Blog

Andrew Pointer Bags a Nevada Muley

Andrew Pointer Andrew Pointer of Reno, NV had hunted his tail end off the week prior to harvesting this buck. He was hunting an area very well known for pulling good sized Muleys from and when theres good deer, there are a million other hunters. After getting skunked and having to head home empty handed, his perseverance kicked in and told him that he needed to get back in the game and try again. So, the following weekend Andrew and his cousin, Brian headed out an a similar 4 1/2 hour drive, but decided to hunt some smaller “nobody” hills rather than the well known mountains.

They got to a hill top at dark the next morning with that day as the only and last day to hunt, sat down in some hillside rocks and began glassing. Almost right away Andrew spotted a forked horn buck at 1200 yds which he began to put a plan together. This was perfect, it was the last and only day left for him to hunt, There was a buck (small horns but great meat) and he had the whole day to work into position. Andrew worked in a little closer and watched him bed down, giving him the ok to really get some ground covered. When they got up and into position in some rock cover, they quickly found out that they had worked in on not only a small forked horn buck, but a small heard that had two larger bucks, all bedded down and no clue they were there.

The waiting game began, the brush was too thick to see any bodies and only horns were visible. Three hours of waiting and remaining as still and quiet had passed when the forked horn deer stood up and looked right at them. They thought it was over… “he saw us, he heard us”, he was going to spook and bail off the bad side and they were going to be skunked again. But no, this little fella was interested in seeing what they were. He slowly and cautiously walked in from 200 yards to 33 yards directly in front of them, sniffing and focusing in to see what they were and if they had any snacks to share. He acted as if he wanted to be their little buddy.

Andrew made sure to keep moving very slowly to let the forky know he wasn’t a threat and that they did make movement. He didn’t want the little guy to get too close and then spook when he made movement to take the larger buck when he stood up. So there they were, waiting for a big buck to get out of bed with a forked horn buck befriending them directly between the two. An hour later, with the forky still feeding on buck brush 30 yds in front of the two hunters, the big buck gets up out of bed. At 185 yds, Andrew fires in a heart shot to take him down and the forky still stands and wonders what the heck that loud noise was.
Sometimes perseverance pays off. You go in for a fork and come out with something a little more nice only because you work hard and don’t give up. Their little forky friend will live another day and soon be able to grow up.


Kevin Paulson

Kevin Paulson is the Founder and CEO of His passion for Hunting began at the age of 5 hunting alongside of his father. Kevin has followed his dreams through outfitting, conservation work, videography and hunting trips around the world.

Related Articles

Back to top button