Ahead of Spring Turkey Season, MeatEater and Phelps Debut Co-Branded, Premium Line of Game Calls
BOZEMAN, M.T. – Leading outdoors lifestyle brand MeatEater, Inc. announced today that it will debut its new collection of game calls with Phelps Game Calls. The MeatEater X Phelps line marks the first collaboration between the brands after MeatEater acquired Phelps in February 2021.
“Ben Franklin once suggested that the wild turkey should supplant the bald eagle on the national seal, and I have to admit I see where he was coming from–even if he was just joking,” said MeatEater founder and Chief Creative Officer Steven Rinella. “At MeatEater, our love for turkeys runs deep, so it’s only fitting that our first product line with Phelps Game Calls is designed for hunting this true American icon. Our fellow turkey obsessives will love this collaboration with Jason and the Phelps team as much as we do.”
“I could not be more pleased to announce the launch of the MeatEater X Phelps turkey call collection,” said Phelps Game Calls founder Jason Phelps. “This collection has been years in the making, and there is no one better to showcase these quality products than the MeatEater crew. We’ve got some other great projects cooking, so stay tuned.”
The MeatEater X Phelps Line includes:
- 3 Pack of Diaphragm Calls ($34.99):
- Steven Rinella – Jake Brake: Using a combo-cut reed, this call achieves the raspy sounds of an old hen while also retaining the ability to soft-talk. This call has been the easiest for Steve to master and has become his absolute go-to. It’s sure to give you more confidence with a mouth call as well.
- Janis Putelis – Latvian Eagle: Janis’s friend and turkey whisperer, Guy Zuck, introduced him to the “chunk-cut reed.” It allows you to get loud and raspy with the overhanging reed but also make a very clean note with the opposite side of the call when you need it. Janis often uses this call as a locator to make extremely loud cuts and yelps. Thicker latex creates a longer lasting, sturdier call that stands up to many high volume calling sequences.
- MeatEater’s Choice – Loud and Clear: The hybrid V-cut design of this call is very user friendly, producing medium-volume raspy sounds with ease. The perfect tone and note quality of this diaphragm rounds out the MeatEater collection, covering all the bases.
- MeatEater’s Easy Clucker (Single Diaphragm Call) – $12.99: This call is the ticket for both beginners and those who have historically struggled with diaphragms. With a ghost cut out of the reed’s center, you can easily master great medium range raspy tones and kee-kees.
- MeatEater X Phelps Box Call ($79.99): Box calls should look good and sound great. This pot pairs a beautiful purpleheart lid with a solid walnut body designed for creating raspy old hen sounds that will pull a wily old tom right into your lap—no matter how far away he is. Best of all, even beginner turkey hunters will find it easy to use.
- MeatEater X Phelps Crystal Over Slate Pot Call ($79.99): Once this handcrafted pot call has been prepped and tuned, it will coax in the most call-shy gobblers in damn near any conditions. The walnut pot, crystal surface, slate soundboard, and hickory-tipped striker join to make realistic clucks, purrs, and high-pitched, two-tone yelps.
- MeatEater X Phelps Slate Over Glass Pot Call ($79.99): When it comes to versatile, out-of-the box performance, it’s hard to beat a good slate call. Slate naturally produces subtle tones for soft, sweet purrs and clucks while the premium glass allows you to transition to sharp, double note yelps. If you are looking for one call that does it all, this is it!
- MeatEater X Phelps Crow Call ($27.99): Sometimes, damn near any loud noise will make a bird shock-gobble. But when it comes to consistently locating old rope draggers, nothing seems to get them stirred up faster than a loud crow call. So, we made this one as loud as we could. Designed with an acrylic body and tone boards, this call will produce enough volume to get gobblers in the next county hammering back at you.
The MeatEater X Phelps turkey call collection will join MeatEater, Inc.’s commerce offerings of apparel, outdoor gear, cooking accessories, and books. For more information on the collection please visit www.themeateater.com or phelpsgamecalls.com.
About MeatEater, Inc.
MeatEater, Inc. is an outdoor lifestyle media and commerce company founded by renowned writer, TV, and podcast personality Steven Rinella and The Chernin Group. With the belief that a deeper understanding of the natural world enriches all of our lives, MeatEater brings together the leading influencers in the categories of fishing, hunting, wild foods, and conservation to create premium content and experiences and provide unique apparel and equipment. MeatEater is based in Bozeman, MT.
About Phelps Game Calls
Phelps Game Calls is a hunting gear company dedicated to producing high quality game calls. The company was founded by outdoorsman and civil engineer Jason Phelps in 2009. Since its inception, Phelps Game Calls has been committed to providing the most accurate and attractive custom game calls on the market. Phelps Game Calls is based in Pe Ell, WA.