Arkansas City, Kan. – February 2, 2010 – Hunters and conservationists from Cowley County, Kansas, have formed the state’s newest Quail Forever chapter. Named Cowley County Quail Forever, the group has set out to protect, restore, and enhance bobwhite quail habitat in south-central Kansas.
As a Quail Forever chapter, the Cowley County group will utilize Quail Forever’s local approach to wildlife habitat conservation. Unlike other national conservation organizations, Quail Forever gives local Quail Forever chapters the ability to decide how 100 percent of their fundraised dollars are spent. This local control gives chapters and members the ability to make things happen for habitat in their communities, while belonging to a national organization that gives wildlife and conservation a voice in Washington, D.C.
Cowley County Quail Forever is comprised of passionate outdoor enthusiasts, some of whom have 25-plus years experience volunteering for various conservation causes. “In our first year as a Quail Forever chapter, our focus is to establish ties within the surrounding communities and get people on board with our mission of improving quail habitat,” said Justin Nulik, an Arkansas City resident and president of Cowley County Quail Forever. “In particular, we look forward to having conversations with area farmers and private landowners, as they are the real keys to creating upland bird habitat.”
Cowley County Quail Forever
- Chapter leaders include Dan Durbin, treasurer, from Winfield; Bret Pudden, habitat chair, from Arkansas City; and Jeff Swanson, youth/education chair, also from Arkansas City.
- Spring 2010 habitat projects will include establishing food & cover plots and prescribed burns.
- Upcoming trap shoot at Dexter City Club, details TBA.
- First annual fundraising banquet in Winfield on Saturday, October 23, 2010.
- To join Cowley County Quail Forever, or for more information about the chapter, contact Justin Nulik at (620) 441-7745 / Justin.Nulik@BNSF.com or Bret Pudden at (620) 660-2918 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quail Forever is the quail division of Pheasants Forever. Kansas is home to 9 Quail Forever chapters, 43 Pheasants Forever chapters and 5,400 members of “The Habitat Organization.” For more information about Quail Forever and Pheasants Forever in Kansas, contact one the organization’s regional representatives: Devon Walter in western Kansas at (785) 524-4033 / email@example.com and Jordan Martincich in eastern Kansas at (785) 242-3175 / firstname.lastname@example.org.