EDGEFIELD, South Carolina The National Wild Turkey Federation’s (NWTF) Hunting Heritage Super Fund distributed more than $126,000 across North America in November to further its mission of wild turkey conservation and protecting our hunting traditions.
The Hunting Heritage Super Fund supports the NWTF’s multitude of conservation and education programs, with money raised from NWTF Hunting Heritage banquets, donated by corporate sponsors and given to benefit wildlife conservation.
The NWTF is a national nonprofit conservation organization that was founded in 1973 and has worked with wildlife agencies to restore wild turkey populations from 1.3 million wild turkeys to nearly 7 million today. Now, NWTF’s volunteers raise funds and work daily to improve critical wildlife habitat, increase access to public hunting land and introduce new people to the outdoors and hunting.
To date, the NWTF and its partners have spent more than $279 million upholding hunting traditions and conserving nearly 14 million acres of wildlife habitat. Some of the Federation’s Hunting Heritage Super Fund projects include improving wildlife habitat, supporting hunter education and providing opportunities for women, youth and people with disabilities to experience outdoor fun through outreach programs.
November’s Hunting Heritage Super Fund spending totaled more than $126,259 and included:
- *Habitat Enhancement: Spent $23,645 to improve wildlife habitat by creating more wild turkey nesting areas, planting trees and completing water development projects.
- *Management: Spent $16,197 to complete wild turkey management plans, operate wild turkey check stations and conduct hunter success and satisfaction surveys.
- *JAKES: Spent $11,772 to introduce youth to outdoor activities, conservation and hunting.
- *Youth Education: Spent $9,446 to fund scholarships and educational projects, provide education boxes and conduct 4-H workshops.
- *Research: Spent $8,700 to purchase equipment and other materials necessary for conducting wild turkey research.
- *Wheelin’ Sportsmen NWTF and Women’s Programs: Spent $4,050 to provide opportunities for women and people with disabilities to participate in outdoor activities and learn about wildlife conservation through outreach events across North America.
- *Hunter Safety: Spent $3,658 to support hunter safety classes and initiatives, purchase hunter safety materials and equipment.
- *Volunteer/Professional Education: Spent $2,084 to train volunteers and staff to better serve the NWTF and its partners in its mission of wild turkey conservation and protecting our hunting traditions.
- *Other: Spent $46,705 on equipment for future habitat projects, chapter rebates, organizational dues, rewards, educational opportunities, staff equipment, etc.
NWTF Hunting Heritage Super Fund banquets combine fun, fellowship, fundraising and dedication to the wild turkey. They’re a great place to meet friends who share your passion for the outdoors, win valuable prizes and buy items unique to the NWTF. Place the highest bid and you could go home with sporting art, hunting guns, knives, calls, outdoor equipment and more.
To find a NWTF Hunting Heritage Super Fund Banquet in your area, visit www.nwtf.org.