Pro Staff Blog

Saturday Squirrel Hunt

Story by Trevor Simmons


It was about the middle of the week when I asked my friend Caleb if he wanted to go squirrel hunting with me on the weekend. He said he’d love to and asked when to be there. As Friday night rolled around he finally showed up. We stayed up late Friday night playing video games and talking about where we where going to hunt the next morning.


Due to the late night video games we didn’t really get an early start. As we rolled out of bed around 8:00 a.m. we checked the temperature and woke Dad up. In a hurry we threw on some thick camo, grabbed our .22’s, and headed out for the morning.


We got to our hunting spot around 8:45 a.m., and sat down to let everything calm down a bit. After about thirty minutes of nothing, we all decided to split up and go see if we could find anything. So Caleb and I started down one side of the hill; Dad slipped down the other side. As Caleb and I got down to creek we heard something over the next hill in the leaves. I told Caleb to sit down because I thought the sound over the hill sounded like turkeys.


As we found a big tree to sit under I heard a hen purring and yelping just over the hill. Just a few minutes after sitting down we had 5 to 10 turkeys out on the hill in front of us. Then 5 to10 turned into 15 to 20 turkeys, and I whispered to Caleb, “I know where I’m going to be this spring.” We sat there for about thirty minutes and let the turkeys move off. It was a great learning and growing experience for both of us.


Still not seeing any squirrels, Caleb and I kept moving. Then we got a phone call from Dad; he was heading back to fix gravy and biscuits for breakfast. We kept hunting, and told him to call back when it was ready. After we got off the phone we decided to move to another area.


Just as we stepped in the woods at our new spot we saw a squirrel run up a tree. Caleb and I still wonder where that squirrel went. We hung out around in that area until we got the call for breakfast. Then headed back to the house to get warmed up, and fill our stomachs with some good food.


When we got back to the house we all enjoyed a big pot of gravy and some homemade biscuits. As we let our breakfast settle it started to rain which brought our day’s hunting to an end. Even though we didn’t get any squirrels Caleb and I enjoyed just being out in God’s great outdoors. We look forward to doing it again this spring on some big gobblers.

Kevin Paulson

Kevin Paulson is the Founder and CEO of His passion for Hunting began at the age of 5 hunting alongside of his father. Kevin has followed his dreams through outfitting, conservation work, videography and hunting trips around the world.

Related Articles

Back to top button