Hunters and anglers working together to preserve fish and game habitats
and hunting and fishing opportunities on our public lands in Alaska.
Trip to Rome a success – Global angling companies don’t like Pebble Mine!
After a whirlwind trip to Rome and back over 6 days, it’s apparent that global companies serving anglers aren’t too keen on the idea of another fishery possibly being diminished. Anglers from all over the planet travel to Bristol Bay and dream of going to Alaska since it holds some of the greatest fishing opportunities that still exist in the world. The Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska met with dozens of international companies at the European Fishing Tackle Trade Exhibition and the response was an overwhelming desire to help raise awareness and grow the movement to keep Bristol Bay a productive fishery. I’ll be doing a lot of follow up in coming weeks to get these businesses involved.
Hunting Fundraiser coming soon…
While most sportspersons are familiar with the threat that Pebble Mine poses to the incredible fishery resources of Bristol Bay, many are not aware that hunting would also be impacted. Indeed, effects are already being felt, as mining exploration crews and the helicopters that transport them are impacting opportunities for hunting caribou, moose, and bear in a remote wilderness setting. With support from an Alaska big game hunting guide, a riflemaker, and a hunting clothing maker, the SAA will be launching an effort to engage hunters across the nation and worldwide in the campaign to protect Bristol Bay. Keep an eye out for this exciting news in coming weeks.
Travel Schedule (and how it affects the auction)
SAA’s Director, Scott Hed, will be traveling to Bismarck, ND beginning Friday, June 20 and returning to the office on Wednesday, June 25. I will be attending the Outdoor Writers Association of America annual convention to brief members of the outdoor media on the Bristol Bay situation. While I am away, I will have sporadic access to email and the internet. I’ll do my best to handle auction questions in a timely fashion, but apologize in advance if I’m not as responsive as usual. While I am out of the office, please be aware that I won’t be able to ship items out to winning bidders, so there will be a slight delay in receiving items that sell while I’m away.
The fundraising auction for Bristol Bay has now topped $41,000 in gross proceeds! Thanks for all of your support so far, but keep visiting the SAA auction page – there are plenty of great items and trips still to be sold.
Thank you to the blogs, web sites, and magazines who are helping spread the word. The greater the number of people visiting the auction, the better the odds are that we can raise some serious money to help fight for Bristol Bay.
This auction is possible due to the very generous contributions of so many companies, lodges, and artists. Please support them and support the campaign for Bristol Bay’s future by bidding on an item or two. There’s a great selection and you should be able to find something you need or want. All starting bids are set below 70% of retail value, so you might even get a good buy.
The inventory for the auction is basically set up on a rolling basis, with new items being added every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. All listings run for 10 days, so there are always items nearing the end of their run.
Listings Sold (thanks to these buyers!):
- St. Croix Legend Elite 6-weight fly rod (to Steven in MN for $300)
- Galvan R-5 Rush Large Arbor fly reel (to Frank in CA for $168.50)
- Abstract Rainbow Trout print by Derek DeYoung (to Travis in CA for $122.50)
- Set of 2 signed Bob White/John Gierach prints (to Roger in VT for $300)
- Trip for 2 to Bear Bay Lodge in Alaska (to Carolyn in UT for $7,750)
- Patagonia full gear system – waders, boots, jacket, etc. (to Chris in AZ for $650)
- Simms duffel bag (to Frank in CA for $102.50)
- Scott G2 2-weight fly rod (to Espen in Norway for $560)
- Islander Precision Reels LX3.8 fly reel (to John in Canada for $406)
- Leupold & Stevens Katmai 8×32 binocular (to Marcus in England for $288)
- Cloudveil 8x Pro Waders and 8x Boots in M’s or W’s (to Carl in Canada for $440)
- Trip for 2 with Reel Wilderness Adventures in Alaska (to Jack in VT for $5,500)
- Scierra CTC #9/11 fly reel (to Edward in TX for $175)
- Abstract brook trout print by Derek DeYoung (to Randall in CA for $157.50)
- Orvis ZG Helios 8-wt rod + Battenkill large arbor reel & line (to Larry in PA for $770)
- Full-day float trip for 2 with Yellow Dog Outfitters in Montana (to Paul in CA for $408)
- Hardy Zane Saltwater combo 10-weight rod & No. 2 reel (to Paul in England for $987)
- Fishpond Shooting Star Tech Pack (to Frederic in France for $117.50)
- Trip for 2 to Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize (to Carolyn in UT for $5,200)
- Simms G4 Pro Jacket (to John in IL for $455)
- Full-day float trip for 1 with Kirk Deeter & Tim Romano from Field & Stream magazine’s “Fly Talk” blog + Kaenon polarized sunglasses & Jim Teeny fly line (to Mike in MI for $560)
- Certificate for your choice of any fly rod in TFO’s lineup (to David in CA for $222.50)
- Orvis Pro Guide 3 waders & Henry’s Fork II wading shoe (to Ed in England for $410)
- Bauer MacKenzie SuperLite 4 fly reel (to David in OH for $263)
- Kaenon Hard Kore C-12 polarized sunglasses + ExOfficio men’s long-sleeve shirt (to Andrew in Canada for $177.50)
- G. Loomis StreamDance GLX Trout Fly 5-weight fly rod (to Bruno in France for $450)
- Sockeye Salmon print (unframed) by Sketch and Release (to Derek in NH for $81)
- Filson extra large Outfitter bag (to Bruno – a different one! – in France for $250)
- Hatch 3 Plus fly reel (to Chris in NC for $365)
- Drift boat accessories package from Clackacraft (to Shawn in WA for $238.25)
- Trip for 2 to Miramichi Black Rapids Lodge in Canada (to Jack in VT for $1,800)
- Elkhorn 5X Series 3-weight fly rod (to Dave in PA for $152.95)
- Costa Del Mar “Man-o’-War” sunglasses (to Travis in CA for $175)
- Safe Passage rolling duffel bag from Orvis ( to Paul in TX for $135)
- Custom duck call from Heidelbauer Wildfowl Calls (to John in WI for $295)
- Trip for 2 to Pesca Maya Lodge in Mexico + 2 pair Smith glasses(to Patrick in MI for $4,300)
- Nautilus FW 5Plus fly reel (to Andy in Canada for $275)
- Korkers Streamborn wading boots + “Shelter” polarized sunglasses from Smith Optics (to Erika in AK for $170)
- Trip for 2 to Bristol Bay area with Katmai Fishing Adventures (to Mike in AZ for $4,650)
- Beulah Fly Rods Switch 7/8 fly rod + Elixir fly line (to Steve in Canada for $410)
- Redington women’s Chena River waders and boots (to Erika in AK for $170)
- Snake River Outfitters SRO-1 spey reel + CND spey line (to Paul in Canada for $200)
- Fishpond Wildhorse Tech Pack (to Todd in AZ for $135.50)
- Choice of Custom Fly or Gear Rod from Fetha Styx (to Susan in GA for $300)
- Scott “Warm Water” 6-weight Concept Fly Rod – ends Thursday, 6/19 (could be yours for $400)
- ULA Force 3 Fly Reel from The Waterworks Lamson – ends Thursday, 6/19 (current to bid is $300)
- Trip for 2 to Rio Salvaje Lodge in Chile in the 2009 season – ends Thursday, 6/19 (could be yours for $5,400)
- Model Drift Boat from Clackacraft – ends Friday, 6/20 (current top bid $127.50)
- Trip for 2 to Painter Creek Lodge in Alaska for 2008 or 2009 season – ends Friday, 6/20 (could be yours for $5,500 – price reduction)
- Trip for 2 to Rainbow River Lodge in Bristol Bay region for July 2009 – ends Saturday, 6/21 (could be yours for $8,250)
- Kaenon Hard Kore C12 Polarized Glasses + Jim Teeny MiniTip 7-wt line – ends Saturday, 6/21 (current top bid is $170)
- ECHO Trip Travel Rod/Reel/Accessories – ends Saturday, 6/21 (current top bid is $325)
- Galvan Rush R-8 Large Arbor Fly Reel – ends Monday, 6/23 (could be yours for $200)
- Simms G4 Pro Stockingfoot waders – ends Monday, 6/23 (current top bid is $350)
- Filson Fresh Water Reel Case + Large Fly Case – ends Monday, 6/23 (could be yours for $100)
New Listings this week:
- St. Croix Legend Elite 8-wt Fly Rod
- Abstract Brown Trout Print from Canvasfish.com
- Trip for 4 (the only trip for 4 on the entire auction) to Alaska’s Legend Lodge on Lake Iliamna
- Fully Loaded Rigging Station from Rising
- ONE of a KIND ITEM – Abel Super 8 in a special salmon finish with Bristol Bay Conservation Campaign engraving (1 of 1)
Please pass this newsletter along to your friends, link the SAA auction page to your Web site, post it on your club’s Web site or newsletter, do whatever you can to keep the momentum growing.
Thanks for your support!
Scott Hed – Director
Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska