I found a recipe for beef roasted nachos and modified it for my own use. I have made this recipe twice, once with a neck roast and once with a front shoulder roast and both times the meat shredded perfectly. The key to this recipe is braising the venison long enough that easily shreds with a couple of forks. Using a throw away aluminum roasting pan makes clean up incredibly easy and will allow you to make this at your house and take it to a pot luck or party and cook that last 15 minutes on location. Folks are going to rave about this recipe.
2-lb. Venison roast
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 kosher salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Thick ground pepper
1 tsp. Virgin Olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 (12-oz.) can Mexican beer, such as Tecate or Modelo
For the nachos
1 (18-oz.) bag Tostitoes
4 c. Monterey Jack cheese
1 can. drained pickled jalapeños
2 avocados, cubed
2 radishes, sliced into rounds
1/4 c. loosely packed cilantro leaves
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1 diced tomato
Limes cut into wedges in a separate bowl
1 small bowl of Sour Cream about 1/2 cup
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine oregano, brown sugar, salt, ground pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Rub spice mix all over trimmed Venison roast.
- Heat Crock Pot to high and add olive oil. Drop in trimmed venison roast
- Pour beer into Crock Pot, Scatter onions over pot roast and secure lid.
- Cook on high for 4 hours and on low for 4 hours. Remove roast from Crock pot and use two forks to shred.
- Preheat oven to 375° use a throw away aluminum roasting Pan. Spread an even layer of chips onto the Roasting Pan, then top with 1/3 of the cheese, jalapeños, and shredded Venison. Top with more chips, and another 1/3 of cheese, jalapeños, and Venison. Finish with one more layer of chips and the remaining cheese, jalapeños, and Venison. Sprinkle with Cayenne Pepper to taste. Bake until cheese is melty and chips have crisped slightly, 10 minutes – 15 minutes. If you like a Smokey flavor, you can drop this into your smoker for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, radishes, cilantro, and red onion. Serve with lime wedges, tomatoes and sour cream on the side.