Pro Staff Blog

Viral Elk Story

Story submitted to me via a Viral email

I’ll keep the story short for now:  I was very blessed to draw a great tag on a great moisture year and was able to make the most of it.  With my Wife’s full support I was able to scout around 40 days and spend quality time in the areas that I thought might hold a good bull (the whole family was involved in a lot of scouting efforts).  I wasn’t able to get into the area I killed this bull until Monday before the opener.  I knew a large bull was in the area due to the large tracks that were present.  No bugles and not much sign had me concerned so I put up a trail camera on his wallow and continued to check every other day while scouting other areas and videoing great bull. Great friends and glassers Marty Rose, Casey Barnett and Muley nut Max Ryden were all helping me try to find a giant.

The opener came and I was in pursuit of a great bull I had seen on Tues, but was unable to relocate.  I passed on a great 360-370 class 6×7 on the opener and a couple of lesser bulls as well.  Marty and Casey both thought I was nuts to pass on such a good bull, but it was the first day and I really thought I would be able to get on a better bull as the rut was just starting to pick up.  Fri evening and Sat morning held much of the same with big bull being seen and one in particular that I would have shot (380 6×6), but it just didn’t work out.

Back to the sleeper spot-  I just knew a good bull was in there and I probably wouldn’t have as much pressure as it is impossible to glass through the dense PJ and Pine.  Upon arrival at the wallow the bull was back and had been there that morning, but made new wallows to far for the camera to take a picture- what now?  I decided to stay in the area and try to get a glimpse of the bull that left the largest tracks I have ever seen. That brings us to Sat evening (day 2).  While walking into the wallow to sit for the evening two cows crossed in front of me @74 yds- I knocked and arrow and readied myself for a bull to follow- and he did but was 109 yds out.  I saw him for 5 or 6 seconds and knew I was looking at a potential 400″ bull.  Right there I decided it was him or nothing.

They moved off and instead of trying to get on him I went to the wallow and sat till after dark.  No bugles, no nothing.  How was I going to kill a bull that never bugled.  Well, I decided to sit his wallow until the bitter end hoping he would show himself during daylight hours.  Since the bull was in an area not conducive for glassing Marty and Casey headed home to work and Max was  going to head home after glassing another area in the morning.  Sun morning 0430 listening for bugles a mile from the wallow- again nothing at all. Oh well, I headed into the wallow @ 0530 and @ 0600 a pickup truck pulled up to the edge of the meadow.  Great, competition!!!!!  They were scouting for the upcoming rifle hunt and graciously backed out quietly.

Fifteen minutes later I heard a wimpy sounding bugle a half mile from the wallow. Thirty minutes later I heard another wimpy sounding bugle, but quite a bit closer. What the heck, I might as well call in an rag horn bull.  Two cow calls and ten seconds later THE BULL came running across the meadow right to the wallow!!! I couldn’t believe it.  One of the biggest bulls I have ever seen and he had the worst bugle ever- but I didn’t care he was @ 61 yds and I was ready.  The arrow passed completely through him- I immediately knocked another arrow hoping to get another in him as he ran by and was able to at 30 yds.  He ran out into the meadow and stopped behind some cedar trees @ 84 yds.  I had another arrow ready and had been practicing daily out to 80. When he stepped out he was 95-100 yds and quartered away-  I shot again and the arrow entered his hind quarter angling towards vitals.  Must have hit a big artery as he was bleeding well now.

He went another 30 yds and bedded. The rest is history.  I can’t believe a lifetime of preperation was on a crash course with 5 seconds of opportunity and I was able to keep enough composure to make it happen.  Enjoy the photos.


20081007_preston2 20081007_preston

Kevin Paulson

Kevin Paulson is the Founder and CEO of His passion for Hunting began at the age of 5 hunting alongside of his father. Kevin has followed his dreams through outfitting, conservation work, videography and hunting trips around the world.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker